Because I don’t have a real life and because what little bit of life I do have revolves around ME, I find myself thinking about stuff like, “What’s the best movie / TV show / book / song / athlete ever? So, just for fun, without spending a lot of time thinking about my answers, here are some nominees in a few categories of “Peter Milliron’s ‘Best Ever’ Awards*”
BEST Written Song EVER
This award goes to the composer of a song that, regardless of the artist performing it, or the production values or other external factors, is just so amazing all by itself that you can’t help being moved emotionally by the song.
* Send in the Clowns – Steven Sondheim, composer
* Hallelujah – Leonard Cohen, composer
* Take Five – Dave Brubeck / Paul Desmond, composers
* Rhapsody in Blue – George Gershwin, composer
* Amazing Grace, John Newton, Composer
BEST Favorite Song EVER
This award goes to the artist whose version of a song is so cool or so catchy that I just LOVE IT, even if the song itself is really kinda dumb.
* Ain’t Going Down ‘Til The Sun Comes Up – Garth Brooks
* Money for Nothin’ – Dire Straits
* We Won’t Get Fooled Again – The Who
* Love Shack – B-52s
* In The House, Jurassic 5
BEST Made Movie EVER
This award goes to the director of a movie that, in my opinion, has put together an almost perfect movie. It may not by my favorite movie but it’d tough for anyone to argue that it’s not a GREAT movie.
* Shindler’s List – Steven Spielberg
* Citizien Kane – Orson Welles
* Million Dollar Baby – Clint Eastwood
* Mystic River – Clint Eastwood
* To Kill A Mockingbird, Robert Mulligan
BEST Favorite Movie EVER
This award goes to the movie that I think is just such a blast to watch that I can’t quit thinking about it. It just sticks with you and is worth watching again and again.
* Princess Bride
* Thing You Do
* Star Wars – A New Hope
* Raiders of the Lost Ark
BEST Made TV Show EVER
This award goes to a TV Series that stands heads above others in terms of quality, mostly in terms of how well written and well produced it is.
* The West Wing
* St. Elsewhere
* Murder One
* Mad Men
BEST Favorite TV Show EVER
This award goes to the show that I just love watching no matter how cheesy it may be at times. More of an addiction than anything.
* Sports Night
BEST Written Book EVER
This award goes to the author of a book that is so well written that I just was in awe as I read it.
* Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry
* East of Eden, John Steinbeck
* To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee
* What’s So Amazing About Grace, Philip Yancey
* The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, David Wroblewski
BEST Favorite Book EVER
This award goes to the author of a book that I think is just so much fun to read that you can’t put it down. Probably should be titled Best Guilty Pleasure Book Ever . . .
* The DaVinci Code, Dan Brown
* Presumed Innocent, Scott Turow
* Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls
* Pandora’s Star, Peter F. Hamilton
* Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry
BEST All-Around Athlete EVER
This award goes to the individual athlete that I believe is not only impressive in his / her particular sport but is just an all around great person.
* Curt Shilling, Pitcher
* David Robinson, San Antonio Spurs - Basketball
* Joe Montana, Quarterback
* Dave Dravecky, Pitcher
BEST Sports Event EVER
This award goes to a moment in sports that just blew me away. Might be a single second of an event, or a game or a full series. Just something that never goes away . . .
* Kirk Gibson hitting a walk-off (or limp-off) home run in the 1988 World Series
* Portland Trail Blazers winning the 1977 NBA Championship
* The Boston Red Sox beating the Yankees and going on to with the World Series in 2004
* Franz Klammer’s run to win the gold medal in the downhill at the 1976 Olympics
* Nominees are subject to change without notice because I just did this off the top of my head and will probably think of eight or ten more nominees in each category over the next few years.