Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Non-Sportsmanlike Attitude

True Confession Time: I will go to my grave believing figure skating is a non-sport. So, imagine my frustration at getting sucked into Women's Figure Skating last night! I didn't actually watch all the performances - only 3 or 4, actually - but, in spite of my better judgement, I got hooked on a couple of the stories.

First, whatshername from Korea. Holy cow she has some pretty high expectations on her shoulders but she comes into the games as the favorite, so she must be pretty dang good. AND let me just say, that anyone who uses music from James Bond films is always gonna get my vote. Not that they let me vote, of course, but since it's not a sport anyway, why can't I vote? Just askin' . . .

And second, is there a better story at the Olympics than whatshername from Canada whose mother died on Sunday? Hearing Dan Jansen talk about what it was like to compete on the day his sister died helped put things in perspective. That made watching her skate even more dramatic. How hard must that have been? Wow!

So, now I'm hooked. And I hate myself for it. I'll be rooting for the Canadian whatshername and expect to continue to be impressed with the Korean whatshername.

In other news, Abe Vigoda is 89 today. Just thought you'd wanna know.

No comments: