Friday, August 14, 2015

Sol Duc Campground

On Wednesday we moved west.  The route from the Elwha Valley on Highway 101 takes you by beautiful Lake Crescent.  I suspect this would have been a great spot to spend some time but I was more interested in visiting the Sol Duc Valley.

    Lake Crescent

We decided to stay in the Sol Duc Campground, rather than the nearby Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, mostly be cause it was cheaper ($20 a night) and because the surroundings of the campground are much nicer than the open area of the resort RV campground.

    Sol Duc Campground

I think this is my favorite Olympic National Park campground so far - and it's popularity is obvious.  I arrived in the early afternoon and found it to be roughly 75% full.  That night it seemed like more than a few vehicles were circling the campground trying (unsuccessfully I bet) to find an open campsite.  After struggling to find a semi flat spot to park the MoFo, we finally settled in.

One of the primary attractions of this area is the nearby Sol Duc Falls.  A trail from the campground leads to the falls which are 2.8 miles away, according to the sign.  Alternatively you can drive up the road a bit to a spot where the hike in is less than a mile.
  
    Sol Duc Falls

The falls are well worth the trip and you could fill your camera with endless shots from a variety of different angles.  I was surprised at the number of folks there with multiple cameras, tripods and other expensive looking gear.  For me, my iPhone and GoPro had to suffice.

As I got there and walked down to the river above the falls someone asked me, "Did you see the black bear?"  Just my luck I hadn't but apparently seconds before I got there a black bear crossed the river a bit further upstream!  On my way back, just outside of the campground, I found a pile of black bear scat on the side of the trail.  It seemed fairly fresh (although I didn't subject it to any kind of rigorous testing) and I don't believe it was there on my way in.  Two chances to see (or be eaten by) a black bear and I missed them both!

    Near where the black bear crossed

The next morning I met a couple from the Bay Area who were visiting the Olympic National Park to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries with their family.  They asked me if I had heard the raccoons overnight.  I hadn't, of course, and neither had Rudy apparently.  These folks heard them rustling around outside and also heard their chirping.  They were in the next campsite over, so I suspected they came by my site as well.

Another wildlife encounter missed! But at least there were no snakes!





6 comments:

WaianaeGal said...

I just found your blog thru Interstellar Orchard... having 30+ blogs bookmarked with one section "new blogs to read" however yours being so new has been moved into the follow section! LOL.
I started fulltiming in my caravan with a tent and Corky the dog knew it was over before I did, spending the last night in his front seat bed. They are much smart than we... and so much more wise. LOL.
I put a deposit on a Minnie Winnie 22R a week ago, will pick it up on Monday after the PDI and hopefully load everything from the van into the "Gamer Babe" and hit the road by Wednesday from my sons house in the Sierra foothills, heading east and then north into NE Ca. and eventually the Dakotas
No blog for me yet, I journal a lot but nothing public yet. To keep family and friends in touch with things it might happen sooner than I think.
Enjoy the coast, good timing, the first 10 days of August were mad, county fairs, music festival at Cape Blanco and Dune Fest in Coos Bay area.
I'm blabbed enough. good luck and see ya on the road.
Safe Travels...

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your comments and for the follow!

It's funny that you mention how Corky knew that tent camping wss over before you did! Rudy loves to hike but hated sleeping in a tent. When we would get back to the campground after a hike she just wanted to climb into her seat in the car! I began to think about getting a vehicle (like an old Land Rover) that maybe we could sleep in, rather than making her sleep in a tent.

One thing led to another and I began to think about an RV. And then about retiring early to live life on the road. Long story short, I retired at the end of July and Rudy and I are living full time in the RV. And, after only two weeks, it is pretty dang cool, so far!

I bet you will like the Minnie Winnie! Life on the road will be so much simpler to manage!

Hope to meet you on the road sometime!

Peter

Richard and Connie Krein Family said...

Love the go pro shots.....and vicariously travelling the Olympic Penn. - SO where we going next....?
(NO....Just surprise me!!!

Unknown said...

My plan is to head down the west coast over the next three months!

Richard and Connie Krein Family said...

Hey....FYI

Did you know you can purchase an annual pass to all Nat'l PArks ? Link :

http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/senior.shtml

Good for 1 year........!!!

Let us know when your're near cannon / tolavana ....we can meet for chowder maybe !!!

Unknown said...

Yep! I've got one! Can't wait until next year when I turn 62 and can get a lifetime pass for $10.

Peter