Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Bono: The Rolling Stone Interview

Jann Wenner, the publisher of Rolling Stone, interviews Bono in the latest issue. It is one long honkin' muthah piece but there are some great stories about Bono's faith and the early years of U2.

I especially liked this portion of the exchange . . .

What is your religious belief today? What is your concept of God?
If I could put it simply, I would say that I believe there's a force of love and logic in the world, a force of love and logic behind the universe. And I believe in the poetic genius of a creator who would choose to express such unfathomable power as a child born in "straw poverty"; i.e., the story of Christ makes sense to me.

How does it make sense?

As an artist, I see the poetry of it. It's so brilliant. That this scale of creation, and the unfathomable universe, should describe itself in such vulnerability, as a child. That is mind-blowing to me. I guess that would make me a Christian. Although I don't use the label, because it is so very hard to live up to. I feel like I'm the worst example of it, so I just kinda keep my mouth shut.

No comments: