Saturday, October 5, 2002

GOODNESS GRACIOUS - Part 3

To tell the truth.
Is none of this true? Could be but I guess I just have a hard time thinking that in this enormous universe that humans are the ultimate evolution of all intelligence. Somehow it only makes sense there's something more out there. (Not to mention that human beings being the ultimate creation is more than a little sad - not to mention downright scary!)

Is all of it true? Well, maybe but that would seem almost too bizarre to me. I've just never been comfortable with that "all roads lead to Rome" approach to God. I think there is benefit in just about all of them but it's just hard to believe they're all right.

Have you ever heard of Rastafarianism? It’s the religion from which reggae music comes from. Bob Marley. Jimmy Cliff. Toots and the Maytals. All Rastafarians. They believe that a former emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie – a guy who died back in the 70s, I think - is God. AND even stranger – you wanna know one of the ways they worship? Smoking pot. Really. I’m not kidding!

Right or wrong I have always had this image of God looking down and saying, "Look at this? Can you really believe these guys think that smoking ganja will help them understand who I am?" It's gotta make Him laugh. But that's just me.

Although I was never a Rastafarian I did grow up with some pretty strange beliefs. I was a Mormon. Lots of you know Mormons. Some of you might even be Mormons. Like it or not, they believe in some kinda off the wall stuff. Like:

* While they believe there is only one God of this world, they believe there are lots of worlds AND lots of other Gods.
* That when you die, you’ll get to go to one of three kingdoms: Celestial, Telestial and Terrestial.
* AND if you go to the Celestial kingdom, you may even have a chance to become a God of your own world. Just like our God.

Am I still a Mormon? No. But that's another story for another time.

Is there One True Thing out there but we've just not discovered what it is yet? If God is really God - meaning that He is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and maybe even omnivorous - then it seems entirely possible that we barely have a clue about who He is - let alone, how to know more about him.

But the good news is that He does want us to know who He is!

No comments: