Monday, July 8, 2002

One Nation Under God and Her Father's Selfish Motives
If you're like me (and I know you're glad you're not) you may have some mixed feelings about the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in it's current form is unconstitutional. Although I'd prefer to see the phrase "under God" left in, I can't help but think that whether it's there or not will have no affect on the spiritual life of me or anyone else. In fact, I can't help but think that God may be sitting up there saying, "People, people, people! I'm a lot more interested in how your relationship with ME is doing and a lot less interested in whether or not the Pledge of Allegiance acknowledges me or not!"

An interesting sidelight to the whole controversy is that the man who brought the lawsuit, Dr. Michael Newdow, an emergency room doctor with a law degree, said he did so on behalf of his daughter. He said that the pledge harmed his daughter's First Amendment rights because she had to "watch and listen as her state-employed teacher in her state-run school leads her classmates in a ritual proclaiming that there is a God, and that ours is `one nation under God.'" What makes the whole thing even more interesting is that Dr. Newdow filed the legal suit in June "against the wishes of his daughter and her mother, both of which identify themselves as Christians and attend a Calvary Chapel.

If you'd like to read more, check out this article from CPINews.Net

No comments: