Monday, March 1, 2010

O Canada!

The Olympics are over but could it have ended with anything more exciting than that USA / Canada gold medal hockey game? Wow! It was hard fought by both teams all the way. The U.S. ties it up with 25 seconds to go in the third period and throws it into overtime. And then some Taylor Lautner look-a-like scores the game winning goal. And.The.Crowd.Goes.Wild!

True Confession: I was glued to the Canada / Norway gold medal curling event on Saturday. Not proud of it but it is what it is. And I'm not gonna pretend I really understand how curling works but it appears to be kinda like shuffleboard or horseshoes, which, uh, now that I think about it, I don't really understand how scoring works in those games either. However, what was clear to me is that the Canadians kicked the weirdest pants I have ever seen off of the Norwegians.

Which reminds me, - a cool moment in the curling gold medal game came near the end when the crowd started singing O Canada. It came out of nowhere and brought everything to a complete halt for a couple of minutes. How inspiring must that have been for the Canadian team? And at the medal ceremony for the hockey game, the entire crowd sang along as O Canada was played. It made me proud to be a Canadian! Oh wait, that's not right. I'm proud to be an American but when was the last time you heard about anyone in this country spontaneously breaking into singing the national anthem? We might have some things to learn about national pride from the folks up in the Great White North.

We now return you to your regular programming - which to me means that I now get a part of my life (or lack thereof) back, by not watching four hours of Olympic coverage every night!

No comments: