Friday, April 3, 2009

OCD or NOCD: You Decide!

So, sometimes I wonder if I have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). It does seem like something that might be a nice fit with my ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). On the other hand, maybe I'm just like everyone else!

So, I'm looking for a little help. Some constructive feedback. A bit of free counseling maybe. Below is a list of some of the things I do that may be a bit obsessively compulsive. Do any of you find yourself doing these same - or similar - kinds of things? Inquiring minds want to know! With that, here are . . .

A Few Warning Signs That I Might Have OCD!

1. All of the cans in my pantry and all of the jars and bottles in my refrigerator have to be in a straight line with the labels facing forward.
2. When I text message, I have a hard time using short cuts (LOL, L8R, BTW, BRB, BYOB, LSMFT, NAACP, CSNY, NCIS) or those silly emoticon things (;)). (Which apparently you cannot put inside of parentheses, by the way. I have to spell it all out!
3. Likewise, I cannot text, Twitter or Facebook without checking my spelling and punctuation. I even go back and correct capitalization errors. For no apparent reason.
4. All of my books - and I have a few - are, for the most part, grouped by genre (mysteries, historical fiction, travel books, spirituality, graphic novels, Richard Scary) and then by height.
5. All of the destinations on my GPS are properly capitalized and in alphabetical order.
6. Same with all the contacts in my iPhone.
7. Same with all the 5,000+ song files in iTunes (and I find it very frustrating that they tend to get kinda messed up all too regularly).
8. When I plug in my iPod at work, it has to sit squarely at the front left corner on the top of the bookshelf in my office.
9. Speaking of my GPS, after I program in a destination, if I need to pull off the freeway to get gas or go to the bathroom, I just about get in a wreck trying to program in those kind of interim stops.
10. And I even use my GPS to get home from Costco so I don't miss the Delta Highway exit (which I have done more than a few times!)
11. All of the presets on my radio are in numerical order.
12. When I adjust the volume on my car radio, it has to be on an even number. The stereo in my office does not, however.
13. Even though I only have like, ten bottles of wine, they are arranged on my puny wine rack by varietal (Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, New Zealand Sauvignon, etc.)
14. I have a collection of unique beer bottles displayed across the top of my cupboards. (I'm a guy and single. I can collect whatever the heck I want. At least it's not those stupid Precious Moments figurines!) They're grouped by brewery (Rogue, Deschutes, UK breweries, Belgians, etc.) and then in some kind of subset that I cannot figure out how to explain but makes sense to me.
15. I have a collection of some 700 record albums (the 33 rpm LP variety) that are carefully arranged in alphabetical order from Abba (just kidding - who in their right mind would own an Abba album, right?) to Warren Zevon.
16. I arrange my underwear drawer based on the day of the week, with the color or type that I think best corresponds to that particular day. For example, the pair I choose for Monday is usually blue since we usually think of Mondays being kinda "blue" since we have to go back to work. Tuesday might be turquoise cuz they both start with the same letter. Using the same rationale, Wednesday is white. Thursday is Underoos, since they both have the letter "U" in them. On Fridays I usually wear a "fresh" pair. (Kind of an alliteration thing.) Saturday is optional day - any pair that strikes my fancy. Sundays, well, let's just say, my underwear and I both consider it to be a day of rest.

So, there it is. My list of possible OCD warning signs. Or just signs that I'm a freak. You decide. It could also be called "Fifteen Truths and a Lie" by the way. However, I do take some comfort in the fact that at least I'm not "AR" like my boss is!

1 comment:

The Guymon Family said...

I don't think there is a medical term yet for the symptoms you have, Peter. I live with a truly extreme OCD man, and I am fear to tell you that you must have some rare disease that must be inherited. I would check that out. You know, possibly there is a cure for many of your ailments, I think it is called a woman. :)
Connie