Friday, March 16, 2018

Civil Rights Road Trip - Day Five - PERSONAL NOTE: To Kill a Mockingbird . A crazy amazing thing happened while I was in the “To Kill a Mockingbird” courthouse balcony today. The couple in this pic came into the courtroom. You could tell they were kinda blown away to be here. I heard the guy say, “I have something for you” and gave her a wrapped present. She unwrapped it to find copies of both To Kill a Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman. He told her that he wasn’t able to get a first edition of To Kill a Mockingbird but that he had found a 3rd edition. She was already overwhelmed just being there and the gift pushed her over the edge. . But then the dude got down on one knee and said something along the lines of, “I know this is your favorite book and that you have always wanted to come here. We have been on a long journey together and I could think of no better place to ask you to marry me.” So he did. And she said “Yes” of course. And then they hugged. And cried. And so did I. . I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but once I realized what was happening I didn’t move because the creaky floorboards might have spoiled the moment. . It turned out the guy had set things up with the museum a couple of weeks ago. He even had a photographer there to document things. The museum curator (coming out the door behind them) even contributed some champagne for the occasion. . Once the proposal was complete, I left the balcony and went downstairs to the courtroom. I confessed that I had been eavesdropping and congratulated them. I said, “That is the single most romantic thing I have ever seen. You made an old man cry.” (Little do they know that just about anything will make me cry!) . The curator told me that in all the years he’s been there it was the first time he’s witnessed a proposal. . P.S. If you are the couple in this post and want me to take it down, just tell me. But it was too cool not to post! (And congratulations again!) . #readersofinstagram #CivilRights #BlackLivesMatter #NeverAgain #MarchForOurLives #GoodTrouble #rvlife #fulltimerv #nomad #solotravel #homeiswhereyouparkit #wanderlust


No comments: