Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. . I know I shoulda read this book years ago but I didn't get around to it until now. The book culminates with a godawful rainstorm and flood so it was appropriate for me to finish the last pages in the midst of pouring rain and steel gray skies. . Without being too political, I know there are lots of books that seem kinda appropriate given the current climate in the U.S. This is one of 'em. It'll leave you feeling pretty shitty about how we treat those who are less fortunate in this country - especially migrants. . We often here phrases like Live in the Moment, Live for Today or Carpe Diem. Toward the end of the book Ma Joad says, "Jus' try to live the day, jus' the day... Jus' live the day." That's a much bleaker version of the usual trite phrases. Yes, we should strive to enjoy each moment but for some, just getting through the day is as much as they can hope for. . Bottom line: this is one of the best - and most depressing - books I have ever read. I ain't gonna forget it any time soon. . And now back to enjoying this wet, gloomy day. Carpe diem! . #rvlife #fulltimerv #nomad #solotraveler #homeiswhereyouparkit


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2rfOCph

No comments: